Monday, September 17, 2012

Shocking Conclusion

After taking suggestions from Facebook fans, I picked up a half rack of Shock Top. I went with the variety pack, being that it was only $4 more than the 6-pack.
The variety pack contains 3 styles, Belgian White, Wheat IPA and Raspberry Wheat.
I decided to try the Belgian White first, as it was the beer originally recommended. It has a great aroma of citrus with a hint of anise. The initial flavor is of orange and coriander followed by a light taste of wheat, not much in the way of hops. It's a decent beer but nothing special, you can definitely tell it's a "domestic" beer trying to be a microbrew.
Next I tried the Wheat IPA. This too, smelled of citrus.  It's got a little more body to it and a bit more hops. Again, a "domestic" trying too hard to be a real beer. I doubt I'll try it again.
As far as Shock Top goes, Raspberry Wheat is where it's at, especially if you like drinking fruity beer. As soon as you pop the top you are hit with the aroma raspberries and oranges. The flavor is predominantly raspberry with a hint of citrus and spice. With a smooth finish, this beer goes on well. Perfect for a little "porch sitting" on a warm afternoon.
If I get a chance, I'll probably give their Lemon Shandy a try, too. Just for the hell of it.
The best thing about Shock Top is the creative labeling on their bottles, but worth a try if you want something a little different.
And when I find 21st Amendment's Hell or High Watermelon, I'll breview it as well, though it may end up being next summer before I get the chance. If you have a can or 2 to share, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment