Monday, October 01, 2012

Beer to Survive the Apocalypse

Yesterday, I stopped at my local Fred Meyer to grab a couple beers. If you live in the Portland, Oregon area and haven't been to a Fred Meyer beer isle in a while, I suggest you make the trek. They have done an overhaul of the beer department, quite stellar, with a huge selection of Microbrews.
 After drooling for way too long, I settled on a couple of bottles I've never tried, one from Three Creeks Brewing, out of Sisters, Oregon, and the other from a relatively new kid, Hopworks Urban Brewery from right here in Portland, Oregon, only being around since 2008. Don't let their adolescence scare you, they are contenders!
For this Breview, I have to go with  HUBs beer, the Survival 7-Grain Stout. Where to start with this magnificent beer? I guess with the bottle, it's a great looking bottle, just look at it. Simple yet bright. I want to cut it into a glass to drink all my beverages from (& I might).
As you already know, I'm a fan of the dark smokey porters and stouts. Stouts, in my opinion, demand to be enjoyed at around between 55-60°F. I always pull them from refrigeration about 30 minutes before I crack the top, this was no exception. HUB claims it uses seven grains; Kamut, Oats, Barley, Wheat, Amaranth, Quinoa and Spelt. I'm a firm believer that they are telling the truth  You can taste them all, like a liquid trail mix. Then they make it even more complex with the addition of cold-pressed Stumptown Coffee. Nutty, toasty, smokey and fruity. This thick headed beer is more than a drink, it's a meal. If I had to score this beer, I would feel comfortable giving it a 98/100.
And you can't, especially in Portland, look past the fact that it uses all Organic ingredients. I would love to work with the beer geniuses at Hopworks sometime, so I can learn to make a beer as fabulous as this one. (Hint, Hint guys) I highly recommend you get up from your computer and go get one right now.
Or stop in at Hopworks on SE Powell and order one. Their food is pretty damn delicious, as well.

And I'll breview Three Creeks Porter tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment